Gnumeric and OpenXML

gnumeric

I just noticed on FreshMeat that a new version of Gnumeric was posted today.

The FreshMeat post says:-

Gnumeric is capable of reading and writing MS Excel (XLS and Office Open XML), and reading Lotus, Applix, Quattro Pro, OpenCalc (ODF), XBase, DIF, SYLK, HTML, Psion, MPS, oleo, sc, misc. text formats, and its native XML. It can also generate Latex, HTML, and others.

I don't know whether the the omission of write for ODF is correct, but in any case note the read/write OpenXML. Gnumeric and its source code are licensed under the GNU General Public License.

It's hard to say it can't be done when someone's already done it isn't it, still I doubt it will stop some!

[Update: My doubts were well founded - Mark accuses me of being a propagandist and says that Gnumeric can't create OpenXML files ... so I downloaded it to test ... it can indeed. See pics below

OpenXML file created and seen in Gnumeric

The file above is created in the 1.7.10 Build 1 of Gnumeric. I saved the file as an XLSX (the OpenXML option is named MS Excel (tm) 12 - as Victor commented below)

Gnumeric saveas dialog box with openxml option

and then opened in Excel 2007 (this used to be known as Excel 12) ...

Excel 2007 displaying OpenXML file created in Gnumeric]

Comments

Stephen McGibbon said:

Thanks Victor.

# July 27, 2007 5:39 PM

Mark said:

Read/Write support for Office Open XML? Let's see.

Devil in the details I guess. If you take a look at the writer of the latest codebase (1.7.11), you'll see :

/* TODO : (Just about everything)

* Figure out why XL 12 complains about cells and cols

* styles

* rich text

* shared expressions

* external refs

* ...

* */

Which means that Gnumeric is currently unable to create an Office Open XML file.

Note that I've said "currently unable". I don't mean to imply it will ever be that way. But right now, what you are posting is nothing more than propaganda.

The search for short sexy sentences such as "read/write Office Open XML" is appealing, but that makes you a propagandist since it's largely not true right now.

# August 6, 2007 11:03 AM

Stephen McGibbon said:

Mark I was quoting (and linked to) FreshMeat ...

"Gnumeric is capable of reading and writing MS Excel (XLS and Office Open XML)".

You say it can't create OpenXML files so I just downloaded and installed it. I was able to make one, and open it in Excel 2007. (Hey - the formulas worked too Mark Wink)

So I guess that makes you the propagandist doesn't it?

# August 6, 2007 11:45 AM

Mark said:

What's great about propagandists is that they always cleverly spin it. See above, the comment in the writer part says it does not write styles, shared expressions, and so on. All of it is the basis of any spreadsheet.

So Gnumeric hardly qualifies as a program that reads and writes this stuff. Right now.

Your example where you take unformatted contentis just proving my point.

PS : and yes, there is expression support in the parser, reading part. But it just reads what it likes, and of course there is no support for one of the main features of Excel 2007, namely one million rows.

# August 7, 2007 6:55 AM

Stephen McGibbon said:

I rest my case Mark - you accuse yourself :-)

# August 7, 2007 9:10 AM

Mark said:

What do you mean?

I was saying that Gnumeric hardly qualifies as an application that reads ands writes Excel 2007 files since its current implementation lacks essential portions such as styles, shared expressions and so on.

And what you provided to counter my point was a sample spreadsheet with no style, no shared expression and so on.

Do you even realize how your Office team colleagues might be embarassed reading what you post?

Come on, get a [*expletive deleted*] clue.

# August 7, 2007 8:43 PM

Stephen McGibbon said:

Mark, good propagandists don't need to use expletives, I am disappointed.

# August 7, 2007 9:37 PM

Skippy said:

I'm more dissapointed in your weak arguments, Stephen.

Besides, I see you don't think Mark is a "good propagandist" anymore, like you did a few comments up. I guess you're the one contradicting yourself. :)

# September 1, 2007 10:24 AM